LISTENING WOMAN

LISTENING WOMAN
Do You Hear What I Hear?

Apr 18, 2011

The Lenten Journey

Day 40:  A New Commandment
One day behind, but I have completed my “official” Forty Day Lenten Journey.  For any of you that followed, I pray it has blessed you because my sweet Abba has totally blessed me.   I was surprised when I woke up this morning with His words from John 13:34-35 going through my brain:
 34-35"Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other."  (The Message)
In retrospect this whole journey has been an awakening to how much God loves each of us and a focus on how much He loves me.  Everything He has instructed each day has been so I will understand that He Really Loves Us.  (My mind flashes to Psalm 139).  It has become so evident that the reason I don’t love or may not be able to love is that I have not comprehended His Love.  I end my journey with Abba requesting that I comprehend – as much as possible – His great love for us, His children.  But for today that I don’t stop there!  He wants me to turn around and love others as He loves me. . . no excuses, just obedience.  He already knows in and of myself I will choose to be judgmental, self centered or me focused.  But, He also knows that He has provided the Holy Spirit to empower me to do what He asks.  Will I allow Him –daily, hourly, yes even each moment – to pour His love in me, receive it as a gracious gift, and then pour it out on others.
The second thing He desires as I end this journey was brought to mind by the song:
Jesus Calls Us:  Text: Cecil Frances Alexander, 1818-1895 Music: William H. Jude
Jesus calls us o'er the tumult of our life's wild, restless sea;
day by day his sweet voice soundeth, saying, "Christian, follow me!"

Jesus calls us from the worship of the vain world's golden store,
from each idol that would keep us, saying, "Christian, love me more!"

In our joys and in our sorrows, days of toil and hours of ease,
still he calls, in cares and pleasures, "Christian, love me more than these!"

Jesus calls us! By thy mercies, Savior, may we hear thy call,
give our hearts to thine obedience, serve and love thee best of all.

I end my Lenten Journey focused on Jesus’ call each morning.  A call to focus on Him; to respond to His love; to not go shopping at the world’s “golden store; whether I’m  joyful or filled with sorrow, at work or at play that my choice will be obedience  to that sweet call to me.  Oh, I do hope this habit has been so engrained in my brain that I will continue waking and asking:  What’s on Your agenda today Abba.

No comments:

Post a Comment