LISTENING WOMAN

LISTENING WOMAN
Do You Hear What I Hear?

Mar 10, 2011

The Season of Lent

Yesterday I began a 40 Day Journey.  I love experiencing 40 Day Adventures because I sense they are Biblical.  Growing up Baptist, I had never heard the word "Lent" and didn't feel too badly about it after going to a Baptist bookstore and asking for literature on Lent when the clerk asked if that was spelled "lint"!
 Lent is a time of sacrifice for Jesus.   The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer — through prayer, repentance, alms giving and self-denial — for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

In preparation I pondered what I could give up:  chocolate, wine, sugar, etc. and nothing really registered because as I dug deeper, I realized I wanted something that I could check off each day and give myself a star and pat on the head.  As I prayed and searched my heart, it finally occurred to me that the adventure I was being called to was a daily asking God what would bless His heart.

Day 1:  God wants a Contrite Heart from me:
Isaiah 57:15 – For this is what the high and lofty one says - he who lives forever, whose name is holy:  “I live in a high and holy place, but also with him/her who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite.
Isaiah 66:1-2 – “Heaven is my throne, and the earth my footstool.  Where is the house you will build for me?  Where will my resting place be? Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being”” declares the Lord.  “This is the one I esteem:  he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word."
Psalm 34:18 – The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves such as have a contrite spirit (those who are crushed in spirit).
Psalm 51:17 – The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit:  a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
 What did I accomplish in my adventure today:  realizing that when I hurt someone else, whether it is my family, friends or someone that I just ignore, I am breaking God's heart because He has asked me to Love as He loves and to treat others as I want to be treated.  Contrite doesn't mean that I'm just sorry but that I am broken hearted that I have hurt or wounded God's heart by hurting those He loves.

3 comments:

  1. So beautifully said........Since you told me what you had been led to do about Lent, I asked if I could do the same or did He want me to do something different and He agreed I could come along side of you since we are sisters and do the same.......

    Yesterday, mine was "don't worry"....and I didn't realize how many things consumed my thoughts but He was faithful to check and helped me spend a day with less worry and concern about issues many of which only He can change.....

    Thank you sweet Sis for sharing your thoughts and always encouraging me to dig deeper......You are a jewel in the hand of the Father........and He uses you to spread His light........

    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this mom. I can't wait to see where this journey takes you! I think you are helping give a whole new defination to Lent. So many times it is about us feeling like we are "doing what we should" instead of really getting what Lent is about. Love you so much! JJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello sweet Pat, it's so good to be reading your Journey thru the Season of Lent. I'm traveling my own journey, but feel that many of your post go hand in hand...thanks for sharing!!1 ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete